Places to see in Gurdaspur
Gurdaspur was founded by Guriya Ji in the beginning of 17th century. On his name, this city was named as Gurdaspur. He bought land for Gurdaspur from Jats of SangiGotra. It is also established that some people used to live in huts in the old city. Guriya Ji a Sanwal Brahmin of KaushalGotra belonged to a village Paniar situated 5 miles north of Gurdaspur. The ancestors of Guriya Ji came from Ayodhaya long time ago and settled in Paniar. Guriya Ji had two sons Sh.NawalRai and Sh.Pala Ji. The descendants of NawalRai settled in GurdaspurNawalRai’s son Baba Deep Chand was a contemporary of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. It is believed that Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave the title of GanjBakhsh (Owner Of Treasure) to Baba Deep Chand. The descendants of Baba Deep Chand are known as Mahants.
Little is known about the ancient history of the district except a few antiquities like the rock temples at MukheshwarGurdaspur along with its neighbouring districts was the same of the explicits of Alexander, who came up to River Beas in his grand design of world conquest. He faught a grim battle with the Kathaians at Sangala which is located near Fatehgarh in Gurdaspur.
From the latter half of the 10th century up to 1919 A.D this district was ruled by the Shahi dynasty under Jayapal and Anandpal. Kalanaur in this district was the most important town during the period of Delhi Emperor from 14th to 16 th century it wastwice attacked by JasrathKhokhar, once after his un successful assault on Lahore in 1422 and again in 1428 when Malik Sikander marched to relieve the place and defeated Jasrath It was have that Akbar was installed by Bairam Khan on a throne on Feb 1556. The messonary, plat form which still exists about a kilometre and a half to the east of the town is the actual spot upon which his installation took place.
In the decline and fall of the Mughal supermacy and the rise of the Sikh power this district saw, its most stiring scenes. Some of the sikh Gurus have been closely associated with the district. Guru Nanak, born in 1469 in the Lahore district, married in 1485 with Sulkhani, daughter of Mool Chand, a Khatri of Pakhoke (Dera Baba Nanak) in the Batala Tehsil. There is still a wall known as JhoolanaMahal which swings in Gurdaspur. The Sikh Guru Hargobind refoundedShriHargobindpur which had been formerly known by the name of Rahila. Banda Bahadur, the disciple of Guru Gobind Singh used this district as a base to raid the country upto Lahore, the emperor Bahadur Shah conducted an expedition against him in 1711 but with only temporary effect. Banda Bahadar fought his last battle with the Mughal at GurdasNangal in the district and was captured. The history of the district then degenerates into an account of their restruggles of the rival Ramgarhia and KanhayaMisals for supermacy in this part of the Doab, the power of the former was broken in 1808 and of the latter in 1811 by
Maharaja Ranjit Singh, who thus assumed way over the whole district. Dinanagar, with its pleasant mango gardens and running canal was a favourite summer residence of the lion of the Punjab, who when not elsewhere engaged used spent here the two hot weather months of May and June.
During partition of India in 1947 the future of Gurdaspur could not be decided for many days. As majority of population of this district was Muslim. REDCLIFF Awards of Boundary transferred only Shakargarh Tehsil ofGurdaspur district to Pakistan, and the rest of the district was transferred to India. Muslim population of the district migrated to Pakistan and refugees, the Hindus and the Sikhs of Sialkot and Tehsil Shakargarh migrated to Gurdaspur after crossing the Ravi Bridge. They settled and spread in Gurdaspur district.
Places to Visit
Dera Baba Nanak is situated 45 Kilometers west of Gurdaspur. This place is associated with Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. The two famous Gurudwaras at Dera Baba Nanak are Sri Darbar Sahib and Sri Chola Sahib.
Achal Sahib is 8 Kms from Batala on Batala Jalandhar road. This is associated with Guru Nanak Dev Ji and Kartik Ji, the son of Lord Shiva and Parvati.
On the opposite side of Gurudwara, there is Achaleshwar temple. According to local sources written on the board of the temple, this temple belongs to Satyug period and is related to God Kartik the son of Lord Shiva and Parvati.
This pious place is associated with Guru Nanak DevJi’s marriage. Here Guru Nanak Dev Ji came as a bridegroom from Sultanpur Lodhi in 1487 A.D.
Dhianpur is situated 19 Kilometers north of Batala. The town is associated with Baba Lal Ji, who is said to have lived during the time of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan.
There is a mythological brief associated with this place that one who may have bath in the baoli on a moonlit night of Saturday the person will be blessed with a son.
GHOMAN is situated about 26 KM. Southeast of Batala city. Ghoman is about 10 KM from Sri Hargobindpur. It is towards west side of Sri Hargobindpur. Ghoman is associated with Baba Namdev (1270-1350 AD). Baba Namdev was the founder of this town and meditated here for 17 long years. Here he did miraculous deeds.
Barath Sahib is situated 13 Kilometer west of Pathankot city. The Gurudwara of Barath Sahib is associated with Baba SRI-CHAND, the elder son of Guru Nanak Devji, Baba Sri-Chand, the founder of udassi sect was born on Bhadhon 9, Samvat 1551 i.e. 1494 AD in Sultanpur Lodhi.
Since time immemorial, a big Shivratri fair is held every year in the Mahakaleshwar temple on Shivratri day when a large number of devotees gather here to celebrate the festival of Shivratri.
This photograph shows the shivlingam which is in horizontal position. It is the only temple of shiva in india in which shivlingam is in horizontal position. This shivlingam is in mahakaleshwar temple at Kalanaur.
Distance from nearby major places: